River City Round Robin 2 - Sandra's Around Australia

I mentioned last week our #RiverCityRoundRobin project and showed you my starting block.  Once I was done, it winged it's way off to Laura, and I took control of Sandra's little piece of awesome.

The gorgeous Sandra is  Kiwi (ie. a New Zealander) who moved to Oz, and asked for something that represents each of us.

Interestingly she chose the thing that represents her to be...

Australia!

I find that the funniest thing. But that's Sandra.  She is loud and bright and always laughing and not afraid to be exaclty who she is and I love that about her.

But as first cab off the rank, I had to contribute *something* to this perfectly pieced little Oz. (PS the pattern is by the fantabulous Peta from shequiltsalot.com just if you were in the mood for your own little foundation paper pieced country).  Sandra also sent long a suitcase (literally, a little suitcase!!) full of Carolyn Friedlander fabrics for us to play with.

I had visions of paper pieced Aussie animals, and purchased and printed off the patterns in preparation, but when I looked at it in person, they weren't speaking to me.

I tossed and I turned on it, and finally just started cutting, in the hope that that if it didn't work, at least I would know what direction I wanted to go in.

Well I ended up with 2 super cute feathers and used them to create a 2 sided border.  Sandra had said that she didn't need a medallion, and was happy with anything that came out, so I figured I'd try to add a little quirkyness.  And I was super happy with the result.


As you can see I added the Lotta Jansdotter print and the Cotton and Steel orange on the bottom left, but kept the colour palette in the original.  I liked the skinny grey borders, but again, I kept them only on the left.  I figured the next person could decide if they wanted to keep that wonky/improv feeling, or square it up more, and then I passed it on.

It has now been through all 5 of us and is heading back to Sandra, so I can't wait to see it, and then see what Sandra does with it :-) I'll be sure to let you know how it ends up!

E xx

Comments